Thursday, November 1, 2012

My Introspective Realization

As I'm sitting here, eating my dinner of fried rice, I realized something. Okay, I didn't just realize it, but I wanted a way to share that I'm eating a lot of Chinese food, mainly fried rice and homemade of course. I love the irony in my life. :)

But I really did realize something this week. I miss touching people. I know that sounds really bad, so let me say it in a more sophisticated way. I really miss physical interaction with other people, or really anything living for matter (aka my dogs). I'm used to kissing my husband good morning or cuddling at night before we go to sleep, but it's even more than that. I'm used to hugging my family and friends almost whenever I see them. There was an abundance of hugging before I left. I'm used to cuddling with my dogs or petting them while I watch tv. I had all kinds of physical interaction on a daily basis.

And now I don't. The French don't hug, and I don't really know anyone here well enough to hug them anyway. While my good girlfriends would cuddle with me, probably without me even having to ask, I'm not going to ask my roommates to do that. First of all, that would just be kind of weird, even for me. But second, that kind of interaction just would not take place here. So for the last 5 weeks, the most physical interaction that I have had was an old man trying to kiss me Tuesday (see the previous post). I've exchanged the bises with a handful of people and shaken a lot of hands, but that's it.

I'm sure there are several factors as to why I am realizing this now. The first is probably that I am on vacation and don't really have anything to do but be introspective. The second is that one of my roommate's boyfriend is here. It's not like there is too much PDA; they are very respectful of me being here. But they do hold hands or cuddle while we all three watch a movie, and it has made me realize how much I miss having a physical interaction with something living. I don't know how many dogs I saw Tuesday in Valence and I wanted to cuddle with and pet every single one. Maybe soon I can corner one of the stray cats that lives around the school and pet it too my heart's content and then the problem will be solved, but that's probably not the best idea.

In other random news, last Friday I had another dinner with some teachers. A few of us went a little early to Vienne to walk around and have some drinks before dinner. I had a great, sweet German white wine. And then my dinner included snails, which I apparently love! So that was fun. This weekend should also be the remedy for whatever ails me since I'm going to Paris for a few a days! I leave tomorrow morning and will be back Tuesday. A former professor from Anderson emailed me a neat spiritual experience that is taking place this weekend so I decided to go. So even though I am going by myself, I will be with people Saturday and Sunday and then will have 2 days to walk around and see things before I come back. I'm a little nervous but really excited!

From Roussillon (and soon Paris, eek!!) with love

No comments:

Post a Comment