Monday, October 1, 2012

I'm here!


Note: I know this is delayed, but the internet in our apartment does not work and this is the first opportunity that I have had to post anything. Rest assured, I did write this last Thursday.


I have arrived! I am sitting in the SNCF train station waiting for my 11:58 train. It is only 8:15. I have a while to entertain myself. I really can't believe that I am here so early. The plane arrived almost 45 minutes early and then legally entering the country only took about 30 seconds. And then my bags were the first out at baggage claim and the way to the train station was very clearly marked, so now I am two hours earlier than I had anticipated. Which gives me plenty of time to change clothes, and use the computer in theory, but my adapters were not so smartly put in my checked bags at the bottom. Not so smart.

My flight over was mostly amazing. I woke up about 2 hours before we landed feeling kind of sick, but I think it was a mixture of rich food (a 4 course dinner), being cold, turbulence and nerves. Other than that the flight was amazing. I got a first-class window seat. It was cloudy most of the flight so I could not see anything on the ground, but watching the sunset over the tops of the clouds was really neat. It was nice to almost completely lay down in my seat. The 4 course dinner was good, as was breakfast this morning. The guy next to me was really nice. He was from Lexington, KY and while I don't know his name or what he does at all, he was very helpful in explaining all the first-class gadgets to me (like the flight tracker that is built into each seat's touchscreen so you can see where the plane is at) and how going through customs and things went.

On the language thing, I have already spoken French to some people: the lady who changed my money and the guy who kept me from falling down the escalator (that kids, is why you aren't supposed to take large suitcases on escalators). I can understand the programmed announcements here at the station, which is encouraging. Of course, they repeat them in English, but I understand the French version first. I can also eavesdrop a little, which is funny. But they have to be speaking slowly.

From my TGV train at 11:58, I arrive in Lyon at 2. I should catch the 2:20 out of Lyon towards Marseille, which should take my straight to Le Péage de Roussillon, where Anne, a teacher from my school will there at 3:30 pick me up. She will show me my school and apartment. I meet two of my roommates today and the third arrives tomorrow.

I know this is kind of a rambling writing, but I have had only 3 or 4 hours of iffy, interrupted sleep. This weekend, or early next week, I will writing something more coherent and meaningful. But for now I am going to wait some more. Probably drink some coffee too.

From Paris SNCF CDG2 with love

3 comments:

  1. Yay for new adventures. I find listening to announcements in multiple languages an very interesting experience. It triggers a number of different reflections.

    Tell us more about your apartment and roommates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooray, you made it! (in style, I might add). So glad you're there safe.

    p.s. GET A CROISSANT ASAP!! (not from the airport patisserie, though)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Courtney! I'm so happy to hear that you made it safely!

    ReplyDelete