Thursday, February 14, 2013

Roses are red, violets are blue...

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

While the French do celebrate Valentine's Day, it's not nearly as popular as in the US, and is reserved for couples only. When I mentioned that we can give cards to friends and family, I got a lot of strange looks.

In one of my classes today, we wrote Valentine's Day poems and the kids did such  fantastic job, that I wanted to share some with you. We started with the basic poem Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet and so are you. Then they had to brainstorm more colors, and then words that rhymed with the colors. So they had lists of brown, down, town, clown, frown, and pink, think, stink, etc. Then they had to complete one poem that started Roses are red, daisies are white... And finally, they got to write one of their own. We did this for the whole hour and it was actually a very difficult exercise, but so much fun. Rhyming words in a foreign language is really hard. At the end, they started to take some creative liberties with the format of the poem. Some of the poems are just hilarious, and others are actually really thoughtful. You can decide for yourself which is your favorite.

Roses are white, I like you on my right
When we watch the city lights, In Los Angeles at night

Roses are white, Got your love in a fight
Your look is a light, Who shines in the night

These 2 were written by a 2 boys together and they were very proud of their "macho" poem (their words, not mine and they were being funny, not serious):
Roses are red, Daisies are white
You are beautiful when you say, I am right

Roses are green, Daisies are red
You are beautiful like a bean, And you are very beautiful when you make my bed

Some were violent (the kid does not have issues, but couldn't think of how to make it rhyme)
Roses are red, Suddenly a fight
I'm so dark, I killed you in the night

Roses are red, violets are blue
My heart know that you are only a dream, but I don't want to stop loving you (one of my favorites!)

Roses are yellow, Daisies are pink
White is the snow, and I do think...you are my valentine!

Roses are blue, You are my queen
Because I love beans, and I love you too

Roses are black, When I see you
I have an attack, because my heart beats for you

Roses are red, Daisies are white
And then I said, You are my light

Roses are pink, My head is green
When I needed to drink, because I need a bean

Today I feel gray, cause you walk away
I can't live without you, because I love you


In other news, I'm getting ready to do a lot of traveling. I leave for London Sunday and then will be going to Belgium and the Loire Valley (to see castles!!!) in the following weeks. I hope to keep you updated as I do cool stuff. Happy Valentine's Day!!

From Roussillon with love

No comments:

Post a Comment